Questions about Swedish comic book publishers

Diskussioner om serier, tecknare, förlag, åsikter och allt annat som rör seriernas värld.
Kespa
Good

Questions about Swedish comic book publishers

Inlägg av Kespa »

Hi, guys!
I'm comic book writer and inker from Finland and my Swedish isn't so good that I could write to you in Swedish so I'll write in English instead. Hope that is ok:)
I started to pursue international writing career ten months ago and since then I have been published for example in Heavy Metal magazine and I have graphic novel coming later from top 5 North American publishers. I'm also doing few miniseries and one horror anthology series that are all most likely coming out from Diamond distributed publishers in the USA. But I would like to offer my creator owned stuff to Swedish market too, but I don't have almost any knowledge about the publishers (big or small) who might be interested of crime or horror comics. So if someone would know where I should try to offer my stuff or if here is representatives of publishers who might be interested, it would be great to know more.
Here is some samples of my creator owned series and more can be seen on my writer page: http://www.facebook.com/writerhannukesola or my Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/hannu_kesola

There is some K-18 material on these samples.

Steel Knights (4 issue miniseries)
Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild

Amityville: The Roots of Evil (three part miniseries)
Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild

The Evil That Men Do (three issue miniseries)
Bild
Bild
Bild

Horror short samples
Bild
Bild
Bild
Användarvisningsbild
Wakuran
Admin

Re: Questions about Swedish comic book publishers

Inlägg av Wakuran »

Hmm, Ades Media (present on the forum) publishes Dylan Dog and Sons of Anarchy in Swedish, which might be one of the better bets.

Apart Förlag (also on the forum) has picked up the torch for the Swedish venture "Utopi", largely inspired by Heavy Metal, although the series is currently on hold while the publisher is trying to work out a sustainable business method. (The former publisher was a bit too dependent on idealism and fan support.) The style might be a bit different from their regular series, though, but they could be interested in your horror-themed comics.

Otherwise, there are few publishers working in the styles and genres you seem to prefer, I think. And the names I mentioned are small players, and placing your stakes in a basically unknown new series is always a gamble...

The magazine Agent X9 (Egmont) is an institution for crime comics, but they're mostly rather traditional, so your style might be too violent and gritty for them. They're rather into crime procedurals and traditional newspaper comics, I think.

Edit: Ah, the samples are drawn by different artists. I just realized. That would explain the shifts in styles...
I hate pop. And skiffle. I tell ya, this is going to be the best jazz decade ever.
Användarvisningsbild
Noname
Very Good

Inlägg av Noname »

Cobolt could also be an option, they have just published "Perkeros: Diabolus in musica", also a Finnish production. And Cobolt will most likely make both a Swedish and a Danish version.
Användarvisningsbild
Wakuran
Admin

Inlägg av Wakuran »

Have you heard about Karim?

Maybe you could do some indie collaboration, or something.

viewtopic.php?f=61&t=9875
I hate pop. And skiffle. I tell ya, this is going to be the best jazz decade ever.
Användarvisningsbild
AndreasEriksson
Near Mint
Kontakt:

Inlägg av AndreasEriksson »

Wakuran skrev:Hmm, Ades Media (present on the forum) publishes Dylan Dog and Sons of Anarchy in Swedish, which might be one of the better bets.

Although it does look like something I could fit into my lineup, it is difficult enough as it is to promote and make profit from (relatively) well-known properties like Dylan Dog and Sons of Anarchy. For an unknown creator-owned comic like this I am considering some sort of deal where the costs are split with the creator. I.e., this deal is for those who aren't primarily interested in making money off their comic, but rather just want to see it in print in Sweden and don't want to do all the publishing bureacracy themselves.

If no better deal shows up and you want to see your comic in print in Sweden but accept you may have to spend money instead of making money on that project, feel free to contact me.
Ger ut DYLAN DOG och SONS OF ANARCHY på svenska! http://www.adesmedia.se + http://www.facebook.com/DylanDogSweden
Kespa
Good

Inlägg av Kespa »

Thank you for the info, guys! You have been very helpful:)

If no better deal shows up and you want to see your comic in print in Sweden but accept you may have to spend money instead of making money on that project, feel free to contact me.

We might talk at some point. I could contact you during next few weeks when I get some writing out of the way:)

Have you heard about Karim?

We are actually good friends with Toni Karonen and I actually inked one cover to the series that was pencilled by Val Semeiks (known from Wolverine, JLA, Lobo etc.).
This is the cover:
Bild
Användarvisningsbild
Agentum
Gem Mint

Inlägg av Agentum »

USA has so many smaller publishers and the distubition of the comics is good, in Sweden its totally the opposite.

Well at least i like your art, good class stuff.
9mm, i'm never further away than that.
Användarvisningsbild
Wakuran
Admin

Inlägg av Wakuran »

Although as an independent publisher, it is still hard reaching out.
Skriv svar